Leadership Jacksonville Program
NOMINATIONS for Leadership Jacksonville Class of 2023 will open October 1, 2021.
Overview: Leadership Jacksonville is a year-long program that brings together approximately 56 leaders from throughout the community to learn about the First Coast community, to build relationships with other leaders and to better serve as an ethical community leader.
The LJ program analyzes major areas of community concern, provides opportunities for open dialogue between leaders with diverse perspectives, examines leadership styles and promotes a network of ethical community leaders committed to the greater good.
The program consists of two weekend retreats, one in August and one in May, and nine day-long programs. The Opening Retreat provides structured exercises that explore the dynamics of the urban society, leadership styles, and decision-making through group process. The program days provide information about the community, analyze critical program areas and issues and provide opportunities for networking and leadership development. The Closing retreat brings it all together with focus on developing a vision and a personal leadership commitment.
All programs are planned and delivered by teams of LJ alumni under the guidance of the Leadership Development Team (LJ alumni with special expertise).
- Broaden participants’ perspective to deepen their understanding of the community.
- Inform participants about Jacksonville’s assets and potential in critical areas.
- Stimulate interest and encourage commitment of the participants in critical program areas and promote a team approach to resolving the community’s problems.
- Enhance participants’ leadership capabilities.
- Provide structured opportunities for participants through interaction to form a network for cooperative trusteeship.
Program dates: August – May
Program Fee: $4,500 (partial need-based scholarships available)
Tuition for the program covers only a partial amount of the actual expense. Fund raising covers the balance of the cost and limited partial scholarships are available.
The LJ program actively solicits applications from all sectors of the community. Selection for each year’s class is highly competitive. Criteria for selection include demonstrated leadership skills, active community involvement, and a willingness to invest the time and energy required by the program. A conscientious effort is made to select participants who will represent a cross-section of the community in terms of sex, race, age, income level, and occupations. Classes are carefully balanced to represent the composition of the community.
Nominations of candidates for membership in a LJ Class are accepted on this website from
- Leadership Jacksonville graduates or current class members
- New Leadership Summit participants
- Honorary Members
- Authorized executive of nominee’s employer
A nomination provides staff and the selection committee with information necessary to contact a candidate and ask them to submit the required application. Nominations for Leadership Jacksonville Class 2022 are currently closed.
No candidate is included in the selection process without the submission of a completed application.When the application form is posted in January 2022, candidates will receive instructions on how to proceed with the application process. Individuals may apply directly without nomination. Letters of recommendation or support are not accepted as part of the process.
Each candidate must complete an online application and may be invited for an interview. Applications will be open from January 3, 2022 to midnight on January 25. The class is selected from the interviewees.
LJ 2022 Calendar (2021-2022)
- Opening Reception: June 8, 2021
- Opening Dinner: July 20, 2021
- MANDATORY Opening Retreat: August 27-28, 2021
- Program Days*:
- September 23, 2021: Leading From Within Day
- October 21, 2021: Leading With Equity Day
- November 18, 2021: Poverty Day
- December 9, 2021: Justice Day
- January 13, 2022: Education Day
- February 10, 2022: Health Day
- March 3, 2022: Governance/Media Day
- March 31, 2022: Economy, Growth and Preservation Day
- April 28, 2022: Arts and Culture Day
- Closing Retreat: June 3-4, 2022
*Topics are subject to change
LJ 2023 Calendar (2022-2023)
- Opening Reception: June 7, 2022
- Opening Dinner: July 2022 (TBD)
- MANDATORY Opening Retreat: August 12-13, 2022
- Program Days:
- September 22, 2022
- October 20, 2022
- November 17, 2022
- December 8, 2022
- January 12, 2023
- February 9, 2023
- March 2, 2023
- March 30, 2023
- April 27, 2023
- Closing Retreat: May 19-20, 2023
NOMINATIONS for Leadership Jacksonville Class of 2023 will open on October 1, 2021.
I have found Leadership Jacksonville, its programs, and the people it brings together to be one of the most stimulating opportunities for community involvement, connection, and outreach. I simply love LJ!
Dr. Barbara Darby LJ’ 93