Online applications for Next Generation 2023 will open in February 2023
Stay tuned for details
What is it?
Next Generation is an exciting summer opportunity for approximately 32 participants. Participants interact with community leaders, network with professionals and go behind the scenes to explore difficult issues facing our community and learn from our successes.
While exploring what it means to be a community trustee, this diverse group of participants will learn from each other through interactive and problem solving activities. Program days will address various aspects of our community – from government to the arts.
During the summer, participants participate in an Opening Reception, four weekdays and two Saturdays. The summer 2022 program will possibly include a combination of virtual and in-person components.
Who is it for?
Young professionals, interns, undergraduate or graduate students between 21 and 30 years old who have demonstrated leadership at work, in the community or at college.
Program Dates: Next Generation 2023 will take place May 25 – August 5, 2023
Complete calendar below.
Program Fee: $500 (Limited scholarships available)
What are the Program Goals?
- To become a responsible, ethical leader committed to active community involvement and trusteeship.
- To encourage the leader within each of the participants and inspire them to begin making a difference – now!
- To encourage participants to live and work in Northeast Florida and serve as a community trustee.
- To gain a greater understanding of contemporary issues through interaction and problem solving with peers, leaders and decision makers from all segments of the community.
- To broaden participants’ perspective and understanding of Northeast Florida’s assets and potential, stimulate interest and encourage a team approach in resolving community problems.
How does someone apply to Next Generation?
Recommendations for Next Generation may be submitted by email to Meg Folds, Programs Director. Include the candidate’s name, phone number and email address. You may recommend more than one candidate. Recommendations are NOT required.
How will the Class be selected?
A committee of Leadership Jacksonville alumni will review the applications and conduct phone interviews during April. The classes are selected in May.
What is the Calendar?
Dates for 2023:
- TBD: Selection Interviews 4:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. (must be scheduled)
- Thursday, May 25: Meet the Class Reception 5:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
- Friday, June 2 – Saturday, June 3: Opening Retreat (Mandatory) (Fri) 8:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. & (Sat) 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, June 13: Creating a Caring Community 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Saturday, June 24: Exploring the Community
- Wednesday, July 12: Exposing Our Community’s Culture 1:00 – 8:30 p.m.
- Monday, July 24: Building Bridges to the Future 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Saturday, August 5: Closing Retreat 9:00 am – 4:00 p.m.
“This has been an eye opener into Jacksonville that people don’t normally get. I’ve gained knowledge of history, ideas, hopes, dreams and goals from people behind the scenes that I never knew existed. It has reinforced my desire to make Jacksonville better.”