“Leadership Jacksonville is one of the best things I’ve ever done!”
– Mary Fisher, LJ 2006
Overview: Leadership Jacksonville is a year-long program that brings together over 50 leaders throughout the Jacksonville community, to build relationships with other leaders and to better serve as an ethical community leader.
The LJ program analyzes major areas of community concern, provides opportunities for open dialogue between leaders with diverse perspectives, examines leadership styles and promotes a network of ethical community leaders committed to the greater good.
The program consists of two weekend retreats, one in August and one in May, and nine day-long programs. The Opening Retreat provides structured exercises that explore the dynamics of the urban society, leadership styles, and decision-making through group process. The program days provide information about the community, analyze critical program areas and issues and provide opportunities for networking and leadership development. The Closing Retreat brings it all together with focus on developing a vision and a personal leadership commitment.
All programs are planned and delivered by teams of LJ alumni under the guidance of the Leadership Development Team (LJ alumni with special expertise).
Program dates: August – June
Program Fee: $4,500 (partial need-based scholarships available)
Tuition for the program covers only a partial amount of the actual expense. Fund raising covers the balance of the cost and limited partial scholarships are available.
- Broaden participants’ perspective to deepen their understanding of the community.
- Inform participants about Jacksonville’s assets and potential in critical areas.
- Stimulate interest and encourage commitment of the participants in critical program areas and promote a team approach to resolving the community’s problems.
- Enhance participants’ leadership capabilities.
- Provide structured opportunities for participants through interaction to form a network for cooperative trusteeship.
The LJ program actively solicits applications from all sectors of the community. Selection for each year’s class is highly competitive. Criteria for selection include demonstrated leadership skills, active community involvement, and a willingness to invest the time and energy required by the program. A conscientious effort is made to select participants who will represent a cross-section of the community in terms of gender, race, age, income level and occupations. Classes are carefully balanced to represent the composition of the community.
Nominations of candidates for membership in a LJ Class are accepted on this website from:
- Leadership Jacksonville graduates or current class members
- New Leadership Summit participants
- Honorary Members
- Authorized executive of nominee’s employer
A nomination provides staff and the selection committee with information necessary to contact a candidate and ask them to submit the required application. Nominations for Leadership Jacksonville Class 2023 are closed.
No candidate is included in the selection process without the submission of a completed application. When the application form is posted in January 2023, candidates will receive instructions on how to proceed with the application process. Individuals may apply directly without nomination. Letters of recommendation or support are not accepted as part of the process.
Each candidate must complete an online application and may be invited for an interview. Applications will be open from January 3, 2023 to midnight on January 18. The class is selected from the interviewees.
LJ 2023 Calendar (2022-2023)
- Opening Reception: June 7, 2022
- Opening Dinner: July 26, 2022
- MANDATORY Opening Retreat: August 12-13, 2022
- Program Days*:
- September 22, 2022: Poverty Day
- October 20, 2022: Justice Day
- November 17, 2022: Education Day
- December 8, 2022: Health Day
- January 12, 2023: Leading From Within Day
- February 9, 2023: Leading With Equity Day
- March 2, 2023: Economy, Growth and Preservation Day 1
- March 30, 2023: Economy, Growth and Preservation Day 2
- April 27, 2023: Arts and Culture Day
- Closing Retreat: May 19-20, 2023
LJ 2024 Calendar (2023-2024)
- Opening Reception: June 6, 2023
- Opening Dinner: August 1, 2023
- MANDATORY Opening Retreat: August 18-19, 2023
- Program Days:
- September 21, 2023: Program Day
- October 19, 2023: Program Day
- November 9, 2023: Program Day
- December 7, 2023: Program Day
- January 18, 2024: Program Day
- February 15, 2024: Program Day
- March 7, 2024: Program Day
- April 4, 2024: Program Day Preservation Day
- May 2, 2024: Program Day
- Closing Retreat: May 17-18, 2024
“I have found Leadership Jacksonville, its programs, and the people it brings together to be one of the most stimulating opportunities for community involvement, connection, and outreach. I simply love LJ!”
– Dr. Barbara Darby, LJ 1993